Wednesday, March 03, 2010

My Leader

A few years ago I decided I would build a single-speed bike because single speed bikes make you cooler.  I bought a frame from Performance before I decided against it months later (though they were nice enough to take the frame back and give me a full refund).  A while after that I was going to buy a Leader Track Frame, the 735 I believe, but it was sold out forever and ever.  So, once they finally did get some in stock, I bought a different frame instead!  The Leader 720TR (and this picture may or may not work, perhaps I should take a photo of my own and throw it up here, but this will be good to see what it looks like before it gets thrashed)

 
So I picked up the frame and a sweet T-shirt from Leader, threw on a cheap fork from Performance and mostly gathered parts left over from building my wife's bike, a pair of wheels a buddy gave me years ago, and the spacers from a Nashbar single speed conversion kit.  I threw the bike together with a little help from the guys at Cycle Fit in Wallingford and started riding it to work.  I have changed a few things around but generally its had the same bits since then and its been absolutely fantastic.
I built the bike from inexpensive parts (though I am sure lots of people could do it better, this was my first attempt after all) because I didn't want to worry about it, not in the rain, not sitting on my porch, not worry at all.  But it has been really fun to ride, especially with a few modifications:

The bike in it's natural habitat, the closet locker room:



I double wrapped the top of the bars with some fancy Bontrager "double gel" tape since the rather cheap aluminum does send some road chatter through the frame and into my hands.  Really easy to do and makes a noticeable difference.  I switched the brake pads that came with my FSA brakes to a pair of shimano pads and it made a HUGE difference.  The really cheap pads sprayed black nastiness all over my bike and didn't really stop all that well.  Just switching the pads brought them close in performance to my Shimano Ultegras.  

I also grabbed an SKS Xtra-dry fender a year or so ago and that has been a nice addition, particularly because you can throw it on and off in a few seconds.  Really helps bring down the incidence of soggy butt.

Last fall I put a pair of Nashbar mountain bike pedals on there and the flashy red paint was an upgrade and they are a lot easier since the other ones I had on there were for SPD-SL cleats but only had an entry on one side.  

I've pulled the bottom bracket out once and re-greased it (though I think I just re-greased the threads because I don't know how to pack bearings and whatnot so it was probably just a waste of time) because it felt a little bit like I was cranking in sand.  I think I felt a difference because I wanted to feel a difference after the time I put in, but generally it has held up great.  That is despite all kinds of really gross stuff I ride through and don't clean it up afterwards.  Here's a photo of the rear of the bike after this morning's ride:




So if you are looking for a great frame to start with, I'd recommend the Leader.  Cool enough that you don't feel bad about the fact that it is really inexpensive.  The other parts have also held up well.  Someday I look forward to putting a real single-speed wheel on the back so I don't have to jam this one in anytime I take it out.  Outside of that, I think this thing is going to keep doing a great job of getting me to work with some extra riding here and there.

No comments:

List Your Website
VccLLc Directory