Sunday, April 18, 2010

I fought the car

and I won this time.  I haven't posted in a while, sorry to my loyal readership, but this deserves a little airtime I suppose.
I was traveling down Wynnewood road, having just left the house and going nice and easy.  Perhaps because I haven't taken the time to change my 11-23 cassette out since the race two weekends ago, or perhaps just because it is a long slight downhill that starts to get steep towards the end, I was just turning the pedals over but was likely traveling close to 28-30 mph.  The nice thing about these mornings is that it is starting to get light again around 6AM so it was already starting to lighten up.  Of course I still had my handy lights flashing and was wearing ridiculously flashy clothing.
A car appeared on Belmont Avenue waiting to turn left.  I was less than 75m away, and I saw the car, I am quite sure the driver saw me, so I assumed the driver had a brain and would wait until I passed.
Soon I would find out that perhaps a cross section of this fine man's head would reveal something else. 
As I continued to approach the intersection at a rather rapid clip (for me, of course I was still going 5mph under the speed limit) this fine man decided to start pulling out into the road.  I was dumbfounded.  I was aghast.  I began turning to the left to avoid him, but I didn't have much time.  I felt like we even made eye contact at this point.  But instead of stopping, he continue out into the intersection and began his sweep to the left.
At this point, I had very few options as I was going far to quickly to stop and couldn't really get around the car.  So, as I was braking as hard as I could without going over the front end, I removed my shoe from the clip on my left pedal.
I then placed my foot out in front of me as best I could while I careened towards the car, hoping to help stop myself without going over the front of the bike or using something less able to absorb shock than my leg.
Thankfully, his fender was relatively soft and absorbed a great deal of the shock.  Sadly, it also emerged from the incident with a rather serious scratch and dent combo, who knew SPD-SL's could cause so much damage!  I got a bruise on my right leg from the handlebar swinging around and an out of alignment front wheel that was easily adjusted back so I could continue riding.
To the guy's very small credit, he did take the time to get out of the car and make sure I was ok, pointed out where he lived in case I needed to talk to him about further problems, and expressed some regret at it happening.  To his shame, he did not apologize for making decisions that could lead to a cyclist's serious injury because he was unwilling to wait for one to pass at 6AM on an empty road.
Super.

1 comment:

MTN said...

I don't think there are any cars on mountain bike trails... By Belmont Ave, do you mean TN? Are you in Brentwood?

List Your Website
VccLLc Directory