Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The beginning

So today I ran for the first time in a while, perhaps jog would be a more appropriate word.  Pretty simply I just want to be in good enough shape to run 3:10 in the marathon something this fall so I can run with my brother at Boston if he qualifies. 

Right now I am very out of shape, I've been racing on the bike sure, but I don't know why I just can't keep the weight off cycling so I have some work to do.

I've also actually started thinking about what on earth I am going to try and do better in the classroom this year, I'd love to do everything better, but I've tried that before and it usually fails.  I wanted to try and articulate very simply my goals for the year and I figured I might be able to start with these.  The idea is for us as a class (since I think this is an effort made as a group) to

1.  Value (and hopefully enjoy) reading more as an important and useful part of our lives
2.  See writing as a useful part of our lives and find ways to practice it in a way meaningful to us.

They are probably still not quite simple enough because they will get exponentially more complicated when you add in all the things that are mandated by the school, grades, assessments of various kinds, the things that must be in common with all the other freshman teachers, the books we are assigned to teach, and the list goes on and on.  But I am hoping this might not be a bad place to start.

As for the running, I was trying to think of when I've started in a worse place and I think I'd have to go all the way back to my early high school career to be in as terrible starting condition as I am now.  I have more experience sure, but I am also getting older, recovering more slowly, etc., so I've got a long way to go!

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I can't believe you (even obliquely) used the word "jog" in relation to yourself. I seem to remember a time when you would have clocked anyone who did that!

JB Haglund said...

oh how times have changed!!

But that was only because back then the word jog would have been inappropriately applied and clocking or other responses may have been appropriate. Now it is all too apt a description. Give me a few months and perhaps that will change!

List Your Website
VccLLc Directory